Star Wars fans have a lot to look forward to this year with Episode VIII: The Last Jedi hitting theaters in December and Star Wars Celebration taking place in Orlando this April. Now we have news direct from StarWars.com that the hugely popular box office smash Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is arriving to Digital HD on March 24 and a bevy of retailer exclusive Blu-Ray and DVD formats on April 4.
Additionally, details on what special features will be included have been released and though it’s quite an impressive collection of what will be sure to be fascinating content, there’s no mention of what must be a huge assortment of deleted and alternate scenes due to the fact that the movie had major reshoots before it was released last December. Will they end up being included in this release or in a deluxe edition months or years later?
- A Rogue Idea – Hear how ILM’s John Knoll came up with the movie’s concept – and why it’s the right film to launch the Star Wars stand-alone films.
- Jyn: The Rebel – Get to know Rogue One’s defiant, resourceful survivor, and hear what it was like for Felicity Jones to bring her to life onscreen.
- Cassian: The Spy – Diego Luna shares insights into his complex, driven character, who becomes a hero through selflessness, perseverance and passion.
- K-2SO: The Droid – Explore the development of this reprogrammed Imperial droid, from initial pitch and character design through Alan Tudyk’s performance.
- Baze & Chirrut: Guardians of the Whills – Go deeper into the relationship between these two very different characters, with Chinese superstars Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen.
- Bodhi & Saw: The Pilot & The Revolutionary – Forest Whitaker and Riz Ahmed reflect on Saw Gerrera, the broken Rebel leader, and Bodhi Rook, the Imperial pilot who defects.
- The Empire – Meet a dangerous new Imperial adversary…and cross paths once more with the most iconic villain of all time.
- Visions of Hope: The Look of “Rogue One” – The filmmakers describe the challenges and thrills of developing a bold new look for the movie that can fit within the world of the original trilogy.
- The Princess & The Governor – See what it took to bring the vibrant young princess of Star Wars: A New Hope – as well as one of her most memorable foes – back to the screen.
- Epilogue: The Story Continues – Filmmakers and cast celebrate Rogue One’s premiere and look forward into the future, to the Star Wars stories yet to be told.
- Rogue Connections – Uncover Easter eggs and film facts hidden throughout the movie that connect Rogue One to the Star Wars universe.
The retail exclusives are also quite noteworthy, with Target offering up two exclusive featurettes as well as the coveted Blu-ray 3D disc as part of a massive 5-disc collection. Best Buy also has a Blu-ray 3D disc housed within a gorgeous exclusive steelbook packaging. Wal-Mart features a sweet-looking exclusive K-2SO package and game pieces but no Blu-ray 3D.
- Target Exclusive: 5-disc set includes collectible packaging with interchangeable character covers and exclusive bonus content (Blu-ray 3D + two Blu-ray + DVD + DVD exclusive content – 2 additional bonus features + Digital HD + collectible packaging)
- Best Buy Exclusive: 4-disc set with exclusive SteelBook packaging (Blu-ray 3D + two Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD + SteelBook packaging)
- Walmart Exclusive: 3-disc set with exclusive K-2SO packaging and two Galactic Connexions trading discs (two Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD + K-2SO packaging + two Galactic Connexions trading discs)
All three editions are available for pre-order starting tomorrow, Feb. 23. Decisions, decisions.
Don’t worry, no Rebel spies were harmed in delivering these news.