Steampunk fans in Miami take note: The historic Gold Coast Railroad Museum in Miami will be kicking off a new steampunk-powered event on Saturday, April 8 called “Rail – A Steampunk Journey”.
This family-friendly event will last all day, from 11am to 11pm and will feature “retro-futuristic festivities, entertainment, films, music, art, performances and more!”
If you’ve never been to this unique museum, you owe it to yourself to check the wonderful collection of antique trains and model trains. But for this special day, they’ll also feature “visual art, performances, music, food and films as well as games and educational opportunities for both young and old.”
Here’s a list of some of the activities planned:
- Art exhibit featuring works inspired by the steampunk aesthetic. This year’s main theme will be “Time Travel.”
- Live painting of a full-sized train wagon by local artists. • Music and entertainment by various local performers.
- Food, drink and other merchandise sold by vendors in our “Alley of Curiosities.”
- A screening of science fiction short films by the Miami International Science Fiction Film Festival.
- Guided tours of the facilities by museum staff (museum entrance is included with the $10 event price of admission.) Paid train rides will be available.
- A scavenger hunt and talks by local experts explaining the evolution of steam-power technology to educate the community about scientific history.
- The opportunity to cosplay and enjoy the myriad creations of other cosplayers as they express their inner steampunk style.
Produced by Rivet Nation, who are dedicated to bringing steampunk events to South Florida, this event will also feature an exhibit of sketches called Steam Colors aimed at “reflecting the steampunk aesthetic through a multi-cultural lens”.
For more info on the event as well as how to participate or purchase tickets, visit the Gold Coast Railroad Museum’s website and follow Rivet Nation on Twitter, Instagram (where the above pictures came from), and Facebook.